10 reasons why traveling by Mexico must be one of your 2016 resolutions
We are starting one more year and as in every January, we make a list of resolutions, looking to be better, to develop new skills or simply to enjoy life more.
Here we present to you 10 reasons why traveling by Mexico must be on your list.
1. Traveling is one of the best ways to learn. History classes were never my forté; everything seemed too far and abstract. I needed it to be more real and to make it mine. I have achieved this by traveling, and Mexico is a very rich place historically. Touring the roads and pyramids ancient civilizations built, everything starts to take shape; it even shows up as a movie where tourists start fading way and character of the ages replace them.
The same happens with natural sciences: discovering our country’s orography through its roads is an experience for life. Sailing its rivers, discovering the flora and fauna of the jungle or the treasures hidden in the coasts. I can bet you will learn something new in every trip!
2. Mexico is one of the countries foreigners most dram of visiting. I have had the opportunity to visit several countries and their expression always changes when they learn I am Mexican. They start irradiating excitement and happiness, just like a kid looking at the gift boxes under the Christmas tree. Then come thousands of questions about pyramids, beaches, food, people’s joy and of course, mariachi and tequila. You can see the longing for visiting these lands in their eyes.
Let’s take advantage of our living in this longed for country.
3. Knowing your roots. We know we are Mexicans, but do we really know everything that has happened in our land for us to be here and like this today? A mixture of ecosystems, beliefs, politics and culture has shaped us. Every trip I have taken has made me understand a little more this sometimes chaotic but beautiful country.
4. Fostering and promoting our culture. We hear this phrase often but, what is its true importance? Arts and traditions flavoring our everyday would be the best way to answer it. When I visit a Pueblo Mágico I love details and colors of local handcrafts, the popular fiestas are a feast for senses and let’s not talk about traditional cocineras. Imagine living in a Mexico without all this.
In a globalized world which has allowed us to unite and connect around the globe, we must not forget that basic and essential. We must take advantage of the connectivity we are. Just consider that UNESCO has declared 32 cultural or natural sites as World Heritage.
5. Nature. With a territory of 1 964 375 Km2, a seashore of 11 122 km, its hydrography and orography generate a large diversity of climates within the territory. It is possible to find tropical climates near the coasts, cold climates up in the mountains. We are the second country in the world when we talk about ecosystems. So there is something for all likes, and we are also considered a megadiverse country for our about 200 000 animal species. We have a lot to explore and tour.
6. A multifacetic gastronomy to lick your fingers. Who doesn’t know the “T vitamin” diet, also known as garnachas? And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Every region of our country features an enormous variety of typical dishes based on local and seasonal produce. Recipes dating from pre-Hispanic ages enriched by colonization, recipes prepared strictly for a specific celebration.
A cuisine enriched by the flavor of over 40 varieties of chili peppers and autochthonous ingredients such as cocoa. In each of my trips I visit local traditional spots to taste the local delicacies.
7. All types of activities. Thanks to their ecosystems you can dive in the Caribbean, rappel in one of the largest monoliths of the world, raft in the rapids or watch birds, all this if you are into nature. But you have also a lot of cultural options: museums, archaeological sites, theaters and galleries. Or if you like to interact, in different destinations handcraft or cooking classes are offered. Maybe you prefer the pleasure of just doing nothing, lie on a chaise lounge sunbathing or drink a cup of coffee while you breath the mountain air
8. Support our country’s economy. This is a topic we live every day. We want to improve our quality of life. Let’s start by generating economic spread right here, eating in local businesses, buying handcrafts, taking tours, staying in hotels with these policies.
9. Travel expenses for all budgets. The advantage of traveling in your own country is that we use the same currency, so no worries about conversions. You also have the large variety of tourism offer our country has for all budgets; you can find hotels with excellent service and moderate prices, you just need to approach the experts to be counseled based on your budget.
10. You can seize any moment and will not require plenty of arrangements. You can make a decision Friday, drive your car for an hour and start a weekend. You might just need to pack a couple of things, start your GPS and let yourself be taken by adventure. You will know places you didn’t expect and that will surprise you.
So, put traveling by Mexico on your list and start touring its roads.
- Boutique Tips
With over 10 years of experience in the hospitality industry and a bachelors in Hospitality and Tourism Management specializing in marketing and sales, Mary Carmen has developed her career working at various hotels in Mexico and abroad, focusing in recent years on the boutique hotel industry. Passionate about tourism in Mexico, in every trip she seeks to find the cultural, culinary and historic highlights of each destination.
Leave a Reply